Thursday, July 21, 2011

Corn-y

My garden seems to be on it's own schedule this year.  I have things that I want NEED to be doing right now and my corn has decided it wants to be picked!

Anyone who has dealt much with corn knows that it doesn't last very long once it's picked...you pretty much have to pick it, shuck it, scrape it, blanch it, and freeze it RIGHT AWAY! This would be just fine if we didn't have so much other stuff going on...
 
We are currently in the process of making the play room into Grace's bedroom...I am painting her $75 bedroom furniture black- yes, we bought adorable furniture for her room at a yard sale for SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS!
I also just inherited my grandmother's hoosier cabinet which I need to refurbish...
AND we have an entertainment cabinet that we got FOR FREE (solid oak) that we are refinishing as added pantry space in the kitchen.
On top of all that I have been dying to go to revivals...Hytop, Big Cove (where I received the HG), Toney, Rocky Branch - sorry if I've left any out.

Instead I am at home putting up corn...
What's that?
"Why don't you put those four kids you've got to work?" you ask.
Really? You don't think I've tried that?!?  It's more trouble delegating the work, not to mention my ears are tired of the whining...although in all fairness to the girls they have been helping me with the laundry.  Yeah, we still have to wear clothes so we still have to do laundry.
This morning I was teaching Grace how to cut the corn off the cob and then scrape the milk out of it using the back (not sharp) side of the knife.
She was worried and I said, "Don't worry, you're not using the sharp side so it won't cut you."

HA! Almost as soon as the words came out the knife slipped off the corn and cut me...bad...with the sharp side. OUCH!  I had to hold the tears back because I couldn't let Grace know that it was as bad as it was.  I calmly washed my hand off and asked her to get me a band aid.
Her hands were covered in corn and she said, "Mason, please get Momma (ok, I'm embellishing a little with the please part but a mother can dream, right?) a band aid...my hands are corny."  Of course we all laughed, and of course she got her feelings hurt.
Needless to say she no longer wants any part of preparing the corn for the freezer!

Any takers?

1 comment:

Melissa Kelly said...

That is so funny! I would help you. I like doing that kind of stuff. I remember doing it as a kid. I always got stuck silking it. And I remember sitting on the front porch breaking beans. Oh the good old days.