Wednesday, August 10, 2011

To Done!

We have finally finished one of our long list of "to do" projects and can proudly file it in the "to done" pile.


We had promised Grace her own room for Christmas and for birthday and for pretty much any major gift giving occasion.  There were only primarily two problems with that: 

The first being that giving her a room of her own meant that we would no longer have a "play room" (who decided that kids need there very own room for "playing" in anyway?!?). So I was going to have to find a way to cram all the toys and stuff -that took up an entire room- into one bedroom that was already so full that we had to have an entirely different room just for toys to begin with.

The second problem being the age old issue of money.  My thrifty and -don't tell him I admitted this-  more logical husband didn't want to spend much for a bedroom suit that is just going to get nicks and scratches and dents. But Grace and I both had in mind what we wanted and being strapped down by a budget was extremely disheartening. I searched daily on Craigslist but could never find what I wanted for the price we wanted to pay,  but I knew the Lord had never let us down before  and he could help us find a stellar bedroom suit for an even stellarer (yes, I know it's not a real word- just go with it) price.

Yep- that's exactly what he did!  The day we left for the beach our neighbors were having a yard sale and as we drove by I noticed a beautiful sleigh bed and dresser/mirror sitting out. It was white and we were wanting black but for the right price that would just be a minor fix.  I asked Trent if we could stop and look at it- I know he was thinking there was no way we could buy it right then since we were going on vacation but he said stopped and let me check on the price of it.  It was SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS!! Of course we couldn't pass up a deal like that so we paid for it and they let us leave it there since we were leaving town right then.

When we came back it was almost time for revival so I didn't have time to get started on anything. Right after revival I tore into the play room and started throwing out and giving away and moving what was left into the girls' room.

Grace and I picked out the bedding (we got an adorable comforter, a super soft throw, and a matching rug all for $131!!!) and then Trent and I painted the room (pale aqua in case you're wondering).  BTW Trent really can't stand painting...he reminded me constantly as we worked on this project.

Then nothing... the room sat empty...waiting...for the furniture...BLACK furniture...
The problem? you ask...the furniture is white...big deal...paint it.
For weeks it seemed like we could never find the time. It's too wet, now it's too hot, working overtime, it's a holiday, it's a weekend, it's a weekday.



All that time, and those excuses later we FINALLY have it finished!! A bed and dresser for SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS, a nightstand taken from her other bedroom furniture bc it didn't fit in the girls' room and they really don't need it with a bunk bed and all, and a desk that my mom gave us that used to belong to my sister.

See for yourself... This is what patience, the Lord,  and SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS gets you!
footboard

I'm pretty proud of my husband with this piece.  When he brought it out he sat it up and it wasn't leaning on anything.  The wind blew it over and the top decorative piece broke off of it.  Once we got past his complaining about how much time that had cost us and me reminding him that it was only $75, he repaired it good as new and you have to look pretty closely to even tell that anything had happened to it.


Here it is in her room...We still have some decorating to do but she is just happy to get to sleep in her own room without two little sisters bothering her!

Way to go Trent!! We did it...one more thing we can mark off our "to do" list!





 

1 comment:

Riggins Party of 5 said...

Looks so good! I know she loves it!